So I recently made a fancy dinner ( risotto , Recipe is on the blog ) and I needed a dessert to go with it … Instantly my mind went to one of my Grams go to .. and a child hood favorite
Enter the classic 4 layer cake , or you may call it sex in a pan .. this is such a decadent rich dessert yet so shockingly easy to pull it together and wow your guests or someone special !
I usually half this recipe and you can always use a different pudding flavor , add other fruit .. make it your own!!
Coconut Dream Layer Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup cold butter, cubed [1 stick]
- ¾ cup chopped pecans, divided
- ⅓ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 (3.4 oz) boxes instant coconut cream pudding
- 3 cup whole milk or half & half1/3 cup toasted coconut (sweetened or unsweetened
- 1 cup chopped Pineapple
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray the bottom only of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl sift together the salt and flour. Cut the cold butter into the flour until it resembles cornmeal. Mix in ½ cup chopped pecans.
- Press firmly onto the bottom of the dish. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool completely.
- Spread the remaining chopped pecans and coconut on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the coconut is golden. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium size mixing bowl using a hand mixer cream together the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla, Whip until smooth and creamy, then by hand fold in ½ of one (8 oz) whipped topping. Spread evenly on the cooled crust add Pineapple and some of the toasted coconut on top of the cream cheese layer
- In the same bowl, Whip together both boxes of pudding mix and milk. Whip until thickened but still pourable. Spread over the cream cheese.
- Frost the top with the remaining whipped topping and sprinkle with toasted pecans and coconut,.
- Chill for 4 hours or overnight before cutting. Store chilled.When toasting the pecan pieces and coconut for the garnish put on separate sheet pans as the coconut may take slightly longer than 8 minutes to begin to caramelize and turn brown.This recipe was modified from this page.
When toasting the pecan pieces and coconut for the garnish put on separate sheet pans as the coconut may take slightly longer than 8 minutes to begin to caramelize and turn brown.
This recipe was modified from this page